Be sure to Subscribe for 3-4 Videos Per Week!
Garcinia Cambogia vs Green Tea for Fat Loss: Thomas DeLauer
Garcinia Versus Green Tea (EGCG)
Garcinia is a newly popular supplement for weight loss
Garcinia cambogia is a small fruit from India and SE Asia
The main active compound found in garcinia is Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA)
There is some science behind HCA assisting in weight loss, however there are many serious side effects
Serious side effects include:
● Anxiety and fatigue
● Liver damage, even failure
● Digestive problems
How does it work and how effective is it?
– Increases Serotonin and consequently reduces appetite
– Stops the fat making process by inhibiting enzyme citrate lyase. Involved in Denovo lipogenesis (fats from carbs)
The research results are mixed, and the positive impact is minor
CASE STUDY – Meta-analysis study reviewing published research studies on garcinia found a very slight positive weight loss effect of using garcinia products versus a placebo, an average of roughly 2 pounds
● 2011 study published in the Journal of Obesity
● Very small statistically significant difference in weight loss favoring those who used garcinia compared to those who took a placebo
● With data it was not possible to conclude for sure that this difference was due to garcinia due to study designs
○ Multiple studies showed no difference in weight loss between garcinia and a placebo
○ Studies were not long term, so only short term weight loss effect was demonstrated
● Side effects are the main problem here
○ Those who took garcinia were 2 times as likely to report adverse gastrointestinal events than those who took the placebo
○ Healthy digestion is crucial for prolonged health – without it we cannot properly absorb nutrients
There is a safer and more effective natural weight loss aid: green tea
Green tea is known around the world for its impressive impact on health.
Multiple studies using randomized, placebo controlled groups have found that daily consumption of green tea leads to reduction of body fat and weight.
The effect of green tea on weight loss is due to multiple factors:
● Appetite suppression
● Enhanced metabolism
● Diuretic effects
● Antioxidant properties
It is believed that the main weight loss benefit comes from the enhanced metabolism and thus increased energy expenditure, which leads to increased fat burning.
CASE STUDY – meta-study that looked at 11 studies on green tea and weight loss. The study concluded that green tea catechins significantly decreased body weight and that this weight loss was maintained!
● 2009 study published in the International Journal of Obesity
● Studies covered multiple ethnicities, both men and women, and a wide variety of ages
● Average weight loss was greater than that found with garcinia at 2.9 pounds more than those in the placebo groups on average
● Maintenance of weight was also found, which is absent in garcinia studies
● Green tea is not only considered safe, but also has additional health benefits
How much green tea should you take?
You can either have 2-3 cups of green tea per day, about 1-2 cups of matcha green tea per day (a powdered, concentrated form of green tea leaves), or take anywhere from 270 mg to 1,200 mg/day)
1. Effects of garcinia cambogia (Hydroxycitric Acid) on visceral fat accumulation: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial
2. The use of garcinia extract (Hydroxycitric Acid) as a weight loss supplement: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials
3. Using herbal remedies to maintain optimal weight
4. Antiobesity effects of green tea catechins
5. The effects of green tea on weight loss and weight maintenance: a meta-analysis